- This event has passed.
United States Mails: The First 80 Years Without Stamps – Robert Rose, Mendham, NJ ** via Zoom
June 8 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
United States Mails: The First 80 Years Without Stamps – Robert Rose, Mendham, NJ
The first 80 years of American postal history was one of stampless mail. These stampless covers illustrate the complexity of the postal rates based on weight and distance and the variety of postal markings used though out this period leading to lower rates and the introduction of postage stamps.
Robert G. Rose
• Began collecting as an eight year old in 1951
• Early collecting interests were United States stamps
• Gift of Minkus Album at age 10, and purchase of Scott National Album at 16
• While attending graduate school in New York in the 1960’s worked for Robert A. Siegel Auction Galleries as an auction lot describer, helped write-up the Lilly Collection (see photo below of me with corner block of Lilly’s Inverted Jenny)
• Began collecting New Jersey Stampless Covers in 1979.
• First exhibited in 1987 and continuing to present.
Exhibitor: “New Jersey Stampless Covers: Handstamped Postal Markings 1775-1855”
• Grand Award, Chicagopex, 1988
• Grand Award, March Party, 1990
• Grand Award, NOJEX, 1992
• Grand Award, March Party, 2015
• Collectors Club, at March Party, 2015, Best U.S. Classics Multi-Frame Exhibit
• Court of Honor, at Boxborough Philatelic Show, 2015 & Collectors Club U.S. Classics Award 2015
• Grand Award, NAPEX, 2017
• Collectors Club, at NAPEX, 2017, Best U.S. Classics Multi-Frame Exhibit
• NY2016 International, Gold and special award for Exceptional Philatelic Merit
• Stockhomia2019, Large Gold
• NJPH, The Journal of the New Jersey Postal History Society, from 2000 through the present, co-editor and frequent author of over three dozen articles on a wide variety of New Jersey postal history topics. Recent article: “World War I: Postmarked New Jersey, May 2017” awarded Gold Medal at Sarasota National Literature Competition 2020; NJPH awarded Reserve Grand Award and Large Gold at StampShow 2019.
• The London Philatelist, author: “Bristol Packet’s ‘NEW YORK’ Handstamp – Was It Applied in London or New York?” October, 2017, awarded Reserve Grand Award and Large Gold at Sarasota National Literature Competition 2020.
• Additional articles published in The Collectors Club Philatelist, author “The American Colonial Postal Systems’ Year of Transition, 1775,” November-December 2006; The United States Specialist, author: “Philatelic Foundation Identifies Modern Counterfeits,” March 2017.
• State of New Jersey editor, provided updated listings for forthcoming update of the American Stampless Cover Catalog by U.S. Philatelic Classics Society.
Philatelic Memberships and Activities
• The Philatelic Foundation, Chairman of Board of Trustees
• The Collectors Club, member Board of Governors
• The Royal Philatelic Society, RDP
• United States Stamp Society, Governor
• United States Philatelic Classics Society, Regional Vice President
• NOJEX Stamp Show, Chairman
• American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors, member
• New Jersey Postal History Society, Chairman and co-editor Society journal
• Jockey Hollow Stamp Club, Morristown, NJ, member
• Former member Smithsonian Council of Philatelists, National Postal Museum 2004-2017.
• Over the last 25 years, have spoken on a variety of topics before The Collectors Club, the New York Chapter of the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society, NY 2016, several American Philatelic Society World Series of Philately shows, Chester County Historical Society, New Jersey Postal History Society annual meetings and before several North Jersey Federated stamp clubs.